Nothing says “Relax” like a Spa. The best part is you don’t have to spend tons – or any – money to give the gift of a spa treatment to the one you love. Just follow these tips and you can turn your room into a spa oasis for your love.
I enjoy giving my husband back massages.
Okay, I enjoy the ‘gift’ of giving my husband back massages. I love that it relaxes him, makes him happy, tells him that I care and want to do something special that is all about him.
I used to inwardly groan when my husband would ask if I would rub his back. My hands would hurt after 3 minutes, I was usually tired… But I would agree if I could turn on the TV while I did so — super romantic, huh?
Then one day my husband had a very rough long day at work and I realized I needed to step up. He needed my rallying and support.
As I have not yet planted our money tree in the backyard, my options were limited. Then in a moment of clarity I realized that I had everything I needed at home that could relax, pamper, and show my husband I care.
I’ve been to many spas – it’s a very rare occasion, like every few years occasion – but overall most all spas have the same atmosphere. The goal is to try and recreate that serene atmosphere.
How to Give an at Home Spa Treatment
Setting the Scene:
Having the right surroundings is very important.
1. Darken the room
Use low wattage lamps, or candles. No bright harsh lighting. I use flameless LED candles.
2. Warm the room
Make sure your area is warm and cozy. Getting undressed in a cold space is not soothing. You can bring in a small space heater if you need a little extra warmth.
3. Mood music
This is one of my favorite parts. You want consistent soothing music at a low volume. Preferably with no vocals and no ad interruptions. Nothing distracting that requires your brain to process what is being heard.
I use my Pandora Pro subscription and looked up a spa radio station.
Some other options are:
• Cable/satellite providers sometimes have a spa music channel
• Purchase or find a free song and put on repeat
• There are some YouTube videos with spa music for hours
• Relax Melodies free app is awesome. You can create your own spa music. I use this when working also, for concentration.
4. Sensual smell
This would be my second favorite. If you are using candles for your lighting and they are well scented then you have this covered. You don’t want any of your senses to be overwhelmed. I like to use my essential oils in a diffuser. You can also put a few drops of essential oils into a steaming hot bowl of water.
5. Keep it quiet
Remember to stay quiet. It’s hard sometimes, but it really adds to the atmosphere. No small talk about your day, no complaints, just peace and quiet.
Here are some things you will want to have on hand to really take your spa experience to the next level.
1. Warm, fresh and fluffy towels
You will need many of these. At least (3). Just get some towels and warm them up in the dryer. I’ll explain why you want them later.
2. Cold drink to refresh
Have some cold water nearby. You can throw in some fresh cut citrus fruits for a real crisp refreshing taste.
3. Warm bed
Make sure the bed is warm where your love will be lying down for a massage. You can use a hot water bottle, rice bag warmers, etc.
4. Warm massage oil
You can make or buy your oil and/or lotion. It’s just best to use something. It will make the massage better for your love and easier on your hands.
I use this relaxing blend. I prefer jojoba oil as my carrier oil. It’s light and doesn’t leave an oily greasy after feel. Also, It absorbs really well into the skin.
- 4 oz. (120 ml) jojoba oil
- 2 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 8 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of Cedarwood essential oil
(This is at a 1% dilution of the essential oils into the carrier oil)
If your love is a bath person. Then a good relaxing soak is the perfect place to start. Again, the idea is to have everything setup and within reach so relaxation is the only goal.
1. Bath bombs, salts or milks
Put them in a bowl nearby so they can be added as your love desires. Here is an easy tutorial for making bath bombs yourself.
2. Hair mask and facial
Have these items setup nearby, so they can be applied while in the tub. Bowl and brush for the facial. Also, have fresh washcloths that can be used to remove the facial.
3. Remember those towels?
Here is where you want one or two of them. Have them available for your love to wrap up into warm fluffy goodness when getting out of the tub. Remember you will still need two more towels for the massage.
The Main Event – The Massage:
Okay, I am not a licensed massage therapist. I have not taken any sort of massage classes, and I’m not here to give you detailed instructions or advice on how to give a massage. I’m just a wife who has been gently massaging her husband’s sore and tired back occasionally for over 10 years. I’m Not trying to fix his aches & pains or relieve heavy amounts of stress. I Simply just want to show my hubs I love him.
Typically you can find local classes offered on how to give a massage by licensed massage therapists. Or use online resources to the best of their ability to learn some new techniques.
Here are a few things I do keep in mind though when I give my love a massage:
1. The goal is to pamper. I do a full back, arm, leg and foot massage. Takes about an hour, but leaves my hubs relaxed and happy.
2. I alternate hands, techniques and using fingers to palms, then heels of my hands, or kneading. Just keep switching it up for your sake.
3. No clocks. Don’t put a timer on or watch the minutes go by. Listen to the music, relax your mind and body also.
4. Remember that this is about acts of love, trust, and even humbleness. Keep those things in mind.
5. Use those last two fluffy warm towels on your bed. Once I have the bed warm I will put a towel down over the sheets where my love is going to lie. This is not just for comfort, but also to keep the sheets free of getting any oil or lotion on them. Use that second towel to cover your love and then pull the comforter over. Kind of like a layered sandwich. The main idea is just comfort, warmth and cocooned feeling. Not stifling and overheated though.
6. Pull back the towel and comforter to expose only the area that you are massaging at one time.
1. Sweet Dreams
Be prepared that your love may fall asleep. 🙂 The key is too relax.
2. Come out as you went in. Don’t flip the overhead light on and snuff out the candles suddenly. Let your love calmly rest and slowly lower the music and ease out with light conversation.
3. A cool sparkling drink afterwards or warm cup of tea/cider is always great.
You may feel a little silly if you haven’t done this sort of thing before, but don’t let it hold you back. Be confident, but most importantly just be yourself. Go in with love and all will be good.